Monday 21 May 2012

Bedford Sprint Triathlon, New PB and new training focus

It's been a while since I've blogged. It's not that I've been sitting with my feet up. Since January I've done 39 swim sessions, 30 bike sessions and been for 61 runs covering a little over 300miles.
Sunday was my first triathlon since 2010. Last year was written off thanks to one health issue after another. This was a 800m swim, a hilly 24km bike and a flat 5km run.
I was pretty happy with my base fitness but not so sure I was ready for a full-out sprint.
I was competing with my Jedi Master, Adrian. A bit like Niall who got me into running, Adrian's been encouraging me to keep going with triathlon even though I couldn't really swim, was below average at cycling and was so knackered by the time the run came that my strongest event was a disaster.

The swim was 800m in the pool. Lining up in order, the slowest first. I was surprised to find myself in the last 50. Eh? What have I done! I have seriously been optimistic. In the queue I was apologising to the folk behind.  I was so going to hold them up.
As my turn approached my mind went completely blank and all the fine coaching I'd been having went out the window. I jumped in and was off like a madman. The only thing I was thinking was breathe! LOL. After 2 lengths I was shocked to catch the guy in front of me. After another I was passed the next guy. With 2 lengths to go I was starting to feel the technique go but I was ok and held it together to get out in 8m14s. A major improvement and 76th out of 193.

Out in transition my mind was still blank and I wasted some time fannying about. Next time its going to be very simple and rehearsed.

I got off to a steady start on the bike and got passed quickly by a couple of guys on aero bikes. I dug in and just focused on cadence and trying to hold a steady effort. I was passing some of the slower athletes and feeling ok. At about mile 8 I wondered who called this event a sprint? I was aching and was only at half way. Amazingly I got through that and kept going at a reasonable and sustainable pace. The dismount was upon me before I could get my feet out of my shoes so I messed up T2 and wasted more time fannying about. Next time I need to mark the dismount and be ready. The bike leg was 48:47 and 46th.

Out of transition and the feet were freezing, the legs disorientated and it was a case of running from memory. I was sticking to 7min pace when a guy went passed and I decided to sit on his shoulder doing 6:45. I must've annoyed the hell out of him. I just sat there for 2 laps getting carried along. At the start of the 3rd lap I noticed he'd slowed so I took over and said "stay with me". He nodded and off we went. I pushed and finished strongly but my new mate didn't manage to hold on. I was really pleased with a 20:31 and 48th for the run which was actually a tad short of 5k.

Adrian'd started 10 mins after me and so I was expecting him when he arrived. We got our results printed and Adrian had done a 6:39 swim and surprisingly a faster run than me at 20:23. But I was even more surprised to see that because my bike leg and transitions had been quicker I'd beaten him overall! I'd come in at 1:20:14 (47th) and he'd done a 1:21:53 (61st). Results

I'm obviously over the moon. A new PB, beating the Jedi Master and very motivated for the next few months as we build up to September's Half Ironman.

If I cut out the fannying about I can easily get a a sub 1:20 time. So that's my focus for the next few months, no fannying. It's gonna be tricky.



No comments:

Post a Comment