Thursday 17 June 2010

Bison Hill 1, Kenny 0

This was my first outing on the bike with my imaginary friend Adrian. We met at 6.30 and reckoned a 2 hour spin was appropriate.

We headed for Redbourn and then out to Gaddeson Row. We were into the wind which would pay dividends later.

We headed up the hill to Potten End. A decent climb but no bother as we're only at mile 10.

Down through Ashridge and we're on familiar Berko Half Marathon territory. We spot a lone rider and decide to hunt him down and speed passed. Adrian drags me along and as we get close I take the lead and power passed. Surprisingly the solo rider tags on the back and hangs on. We spin along with the 3 of us exchanging front spot. Awesome.

From Ashridge it was down to the bottom of Bison Hill. Its the most serious hill in the locality and last year I ate it up. This was my first attempt of 2010. Mmmm. I'm not as hard as I was last year. I struggled up the hill, at times on the brink of the unthinkable. I made it though. Recovery was long.

We eventually did recover and on the ride down to Markyate we put in a session at 24mph. Swapping our turns at the front every 2-3mins.

After Markyate it was Slip End and I managed to hit 40.5mph in the dips.

From Slip End it was the back roads via Pepperstock and Kinsbourne Green. By the time I made it home that was 32miles.

After dropping the bike I took a quick run. Just a loop down Crabtree Lane and back up Station Road. Enough to get through the bike-run transition.

Tomorrow the plan is a run back from Markyate.

No comments:

Post a Comment