Sunday 4 September 2011

A few miles covered, 17 sessions, 17,000 calories burned.

A few weeks holidays but no let up in the training. 17 sessions captured on the Garmin and a few others which slipped through the net when the Garmin battery died.

Week 1 was in Crieff where I set about riding a few hills and adding on a hilly run. These sessions were very tough but the scenery helped distract from the lactic acid build up on the hills.
One of the highlights was dinner with DocRoddy my cycling guru. Roddy's training for a week in the Pyrenees and completed a gruelling 100mile ride on Sunday.
A few morning swims kept me on track and overall the week in Crieff was excellent.
We headed to Aberdeenshire next and had a great day in Strathdon with university friends. Somehow I sneaked in a decent sunday morning run which involved a climb, red squirrels, deer and a ride in a Land Rover. That afternoon we did a cycle round the Strathdon area and saw all the preparation for the Lonach Gathering, one of Scotland's most famous Highland Games, with Billy Connolly now assuming the role of Highland Chief.
After Aberdeenshire we set off for Lewis and Harris. The weather was kind with very little rain and temperatures between 17-19c, described by my Uncle as "scorching!"
Harris was amazing and I managed a few sea swims one with some Porpoises showing a bit of interest and circling me. I wasn't worried, honest!

As well as the swimming the cycling was incredible. The terrain is very hilly, so you get steep climbs and monstrous winding descents. My performance on the downhills was very Andy Schleck, but that was mainly due to the presence of hundreds of sheep who have a tendency to walk out into the road without a care in the world.

The scenery in Harris was breathtaking. Sea lochs, blue skies, hills, beaches and hardly a car, it was a pleasure to enjoy the place at its best. 
I managed a couple of hilly runs to make up the trip and overall I was pretty happy with what I completed.

1 comment: