Saturday 10 September 2011

Swim, Bike, Run.

It's been a fun week with me starting novice sessions on both swimming & cycling.

I've decided to go back to the drawing board on the swimming. My cardio fitness is good but my technique and efficiency in the water is abysmal. So on Tuesday I was back in the pool getting one-to-one lessons and using the teddy bear floats the kids use. Not very ironman but it has to be done.
The good news is I can be rebuilt but it is going to be hard. I've core exercises to do every day, stroke, balance & breathing drills to do when in the pool. Oh well it's nearly winter so I might as well spend it in the pool.

Today was my second session over with Welwyn Wheelers who run some novice sessions on the race track. Using a fixed wheel bike with no breaks is quite an experience. Getting on and off is tricky but I think mastered now! The coaching has been all about building basic skills and not about fitness, although I think 2 hours on the bike is good for anyone. The drill include drafting on the wheel of the rider in front,  using the slopes to move from front to back and snaking your way through a throng of riders.

As well as the bike and swimming I've managed 3 shorter runs. The focus is turning towards the Herts10k so I've cut volume and building the speed work. Hopefully I'll stay clear of injury.

I'm hoping to get out on Sunday morning's from now through the winter and it looks like a good group will be at the George tomorrow at 7am. The weather looks wet and windy so that'll separate the men from the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment