Saturday 8 August 2009

Captain Broomstick Friday Swim Session

Managed a lunchtime swim session for the the 3rd time this week.
The focus was 2 drills aimed at improving my rotation and streamlining. So I made my way to the slow lane which was just about empty. Borrowed a training aid from my lifeguard mates. Basically a 12'' length of broomstick that you use a bit like a float. You hold it out in front and pass it from hand to hand as you complete the recovery. The drill forces good streamlining as you keep the stick near the surface. 6 lengths of that did the business.
After that it was a series of one arm lengths to force good rotation on both sides.
I moved up to the medium lane and churned out a few lengths, concentrating on streamlining and rotation. Seemed to work well as I managed to maintain bilateral breathing all the way.
Feeling confident I thought I'd give the dolphin kick a go on my turns. First one was a laugh as I nearly nutted the bottom. However I soon got it going and realised the advantage. A good push and dolphin kick easily gets you passed the flags which is probably 5 metres.
With that 40 minutes under my belt it's been a good swimming week and I'm feeling bouyant.

No comments:

Post a Comment