Monday 17 August 2009

Longer run than we bargained for

I've only myself to blame. Niall had suggested we run the Herts10k route and throw in some hill reps at the end. I suggested the Cooters End Lane loop as a warm up as I thought it was about 3 miles. After 5.5 we reached the 10k start line. Oh no, this was gonna be a killer.

We'd been joined by Simon from Aro Sports. Niall and I had met him on Saturday at the Allotments Soiree, he was planning a long run and decided to join us. Turns out he's a class act. 1.25 in the St Albans Half and 36m at the Whipsnade 10.

We were 4, no Paul, but Dave was back after his bit of sickness. Cooters End Lane was steady enough, Simon was striding easily and took the lads with him. I was trying to keep my heartrate down so stayed at my own pace. We were back as a foursome by the Nicky Line and were surprised at how busy it was, lots of dog walkers, including Jack's tennis coach Abby, and a guy doing reps.

On hitting the park we reset the Garmin's and the lads let me set the pace for the first 2 miles, which were down hill! On hitting the hill after the golf course Simon was off, Dave went after him and then Niall thought he'd go too. I settled down to a steady pace, slowing as much as I could and trying not to let the HR go over the top. As I came up the hill I realised I was on for a pb and slowed further - no PB's in training! From then it was a steady trot back to the Nicky Line, across the fields and home. I finished a few minutes after the lads in 49.05.

Simon set off for a further 7-9 miles - respect. Dave was heading for the gym while Niall and I were back on duty! The Garmin said 12.94miles overall. My HR was way too high for most of it and so I felt the pain / energy deficit all day. Even now, monday lunchtime, I know I went too long and too fast. As I said it was my fault.

I've 2 Sunday's in Scotland coming up, so I'll be back to 9min miles for my long runs which will be a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment