Sunday 9 August 2009

Five Mile Time Trial

Niall had suggested a 5 mile time trial with a staggered start. I had absolutely no idea what pace to suggest and after making a few suggestions, which were scoffed at, I landed on 35mins. On seeing that gave me a 50 second lead off my immediate mission was to get an extra minute. Thankfully the lads were gracious and agreed to the 1.50 lead.
We were one man down as Dave had come down with a dodgy virus but everyone looked up for it. I'd done a decent warm-up and checked the finish of the run which was up a path and along to Niall's.
I hoped to do a 7.30, 3x7 and then hang on for dear life. I seriously expected the lads to pass me around mile 2 when the hills kicked in.
I was off on schedule at 7.40am and set off at a nice pace. When I checked the garmin and it showed I was bombing at 6.40 pace I slowed. First mile was still 7.05, which I would pay for later.
Mile 2 had the hills and fields. I normally crumble on these but on hitting the top I concentrated on relaxing and letting the legs turn on the downhill. I felt ok and kept that cycle on each of the ups and downs through the fields.
On reaching Wheathampstead I was amazed the boys hadn't steamed passed but luckily my mind moved off the racing and onto the up coming U2 concert. A few setlists later and the garmin beeped 4 miles complete.
With 1 to go it started to hurt and that 7.05 starter mile was to blame. I hung on to my pace and form and just as I passed Tesco I heard the footsteps of another runner. Paul had made up the 1min 50secs with less than half a mile to go. We ran together at his sub 7 pace until the corner before the finish when he pulled away. On seeing the finishing line I put my head down and made up the yards on Paul and just pipped him passed the post. I'm not sure why I did that given he'd made up 1.50, but there you go!
Niall proved he was human after all. Injury, holiday and a late-night party made him come in shortly after Paul and I, but still in a time I'd be delighted with.
In the end it was a 5.2 mile run in 38.05 (7.05, 7.55, 7.13, 7.25, 7.13 and 1.10 for the 0.2). Definetely a pb as I've never done anything like that before and a good marker for a sub 45 Herts10k. However, I'll be glad to be back to a long run next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment