Thursday 30 September 2010

Hill Reps

So after last night's "lazy night" which had global ramifications - even the Gers fan in Peru wondered what was going on - I was back on reps with the guys at National Grid.

It was a good turn out, with 9 of us pushing the effort. I wasn't hopeful after only a few dismal runs in recent weeks while in amongst the group we had a GB vet, an Ironman and two guys who had gone sub 1.30 in last week's half marathon.

Rep 1 was steady and only Jon Jennings set off like a hare. Nobody was near him. I kept on Steve's shoulder as last time we'd done this set we'd marked each other fairly well.

Rep 2 and I decided to sprint behind Jon for 20 yards. Ok that was my comic contribution for the day. Rep 1 and 2 were 69secs followed by 68.

Rep 3 and I stayed on Steve. Again it was 69. Rep 4 and I held onto Steve again, we were seeing a fair space appearing between the group as the younger lads showed their strength.

Rep 5 and Steve pushed it, he finished in 65, I was probably at 69. Rep 6 was second last and one of the young lads decides to take on Jon. At the top the news is that he beat Jon. Ok, but he'll die on the next. I was over in 69-70, I struggled.

Last one and everyone digs deep. Young Steve goes off with Jon again. I try and stay with Steve but can't. He manages a 64, I probably do a 68 but nearly pass out. Young Steve has beaten Jon for the second rep. Good effort.

On the way back I chat with Jon, he's 43. Ran for England schools before taking on a senior a career focusing on the mile. Gave up at 32 and has only just started getting his passion back for it. He's enjoying the banter of the lunchtime and the mix of characters.

I wasn't too despondent after the session. Back in Feb I'd managed a 66sec but my splits had been between 70 and 67. I was stronger back then so this is quite an encouragement. I just need to start getting a few more miles in the legs every week. It's not been that many since the marathon back in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment