Wednesday 15 September 2010

Lunchtime Pyramid, easy does it

I'm tapering for the NewForest HalfIronman on Sunday. No major effort or distances planned but I decided to join the National Grid elite for their pyramid session at lunchtime.

My plan was to take it easy with the back markers and just keep the legs moving.

My target for Sunday is 6hours. One of the lads had done a 4:15 last Sunday. Ahem, different class springs to mind.

Today we had a new guy for the reps. Short stocky guy, early 40s. Didn't look to great. Rep 1 and the new guy is off like a train, none of the elite can stay with him. I laugh, ho ho, he doesn;t realise that we're on for a pyramid session. Rep 2 and the new guy is off. Ok, he'll be sick on the next one I think. Rep 3 and I don't see him, he's probably in the bushes. Rep 4 and he's back and..eh? He's leaving everyone for dust!? Rep 5, nah, c'mon, who is this guy?
Rep 6, a short 30sec sprint. No, this cannot be... he's wiped the floor with us all again.

So it turns out the new guys is John Jennings, he's been at UK Athletics level, is on a different planet never mind different class. He's going to be running with us every week and wow, he'll make the others really work. As for me, I've never seen anything like it in my life.

I was happy with my reps. Felt extremely comfortable and was under 7min pace for each. Nice.

Lunchtime Pyramid, easy does it by kdmurray65 at Garmin Connect - Details

1 comment:

  1. Looks good Ken. What were the pyramids? Based on time or distance?

    ReplyDelete