Saturday 2 January 2010

Dancing on Ice, 7.5miles

It was 6x800m reps with 90secs recovery today with Niall. I normally do 2min recoveries but told Niall it was 90secs. So with the Garmins programmed there was no going back.

Another freezing morning and we headed to the Luton path. There was one dog walker as we completed our warm-up.

As we were about to start I said to Niall I normally struggled with pacing and went too fast on rep 1. I was confident his greater experience would deliver a perfect set.

No1 was murder. We set off like the house was on fire. Struggled to breathe in the cold air and doubled up at the end. 90 secs and we were off. Again I was in pain, somehow stayed close to Niall who looked graceful and in control. Meanwhile my head was lolling and my body crumpling.

3 & 4 passed in a daze. Niall looked like he was dancing on ice - floating along. 5 & 6 were more about leg burn than heart and head. I was struggling but maintained a 5-10 yard gap with Niall.

Afterwards I was certain I'd been poor. Loads of reasons, too many miles, no reps for a good few weeks, blah blah. When I checked the Garmin I'd actually done a pb set. Fastest ever 800 at 5.36 pace. Overall the average was 6.08 pace. Rock'n roll.

2 comments:

  1. let me know when you're planning reps as I need some motivation to get out and do them too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing like having a running buddy with you to make sure you do them all well!

    ReplyDelete