Tuesday 26 January 2010

Tempo and Recovery, 9.1miles

After rest day and an excellent curry on Monday night with the lads from SBC, it was back to business today.

I'd been threatening to join the lunchtime runners at National Grid for a few weeks and this was my induction. The session was sold as 5 mile loop at 8min pace. Ok a bit faster than my easy pace but should be ok.

We set off chatting away, I looked at the Garmin and we were averaging 7.20 for mile 1. Ok, they'll slow in a minute. At least that's what I thought. Mile 2, 6.56. Mile 3, 6.21. Mile 4, 6.40. Mile 5, 6.51.

So rather than a fast-ish steady run it was 5 mile at tempo pace. Tough. Basically the guys wanted to test my mettle and luckily I passed. We started as a 5 and finished as a 3.

I was very stiff after the drive home and decided an easy few miles was in order to loosen off the legs. An easy 4.2 miles at 9.40 pace was lovely.

I called in to say goodbye to the fitscottishbloke and his missus. I'll miss Niall, it's been a tremendous year of running together. Well, 4 months of running together and 8 months of me running behind. Thanks Obi Wan, all the best in Geneva.

No comments:

Post a Comment