Saturday 9 January 2010

Energy Sapping, 12.4miles




It was a 7am start with Paul & Niall. The plan was St Albans, Sandridge & Wheathampstead over a 2 hour session.

Paul suggested that we go via Heartwood and see how things went from there. The first 4 miles were speedy for me. Too quick in retrospect. My long runs in good conditions should be around 9min pace, these were all around 8.30 / 8.40, so my heart rate was higher than it should've been. From mile 4 I was trying to manage it down but we were off road and on hilly terrain so that was next to impossible. The only way to get it under control was to stop for a quick photo shoot. I need a fewe photos for a press release on the 1000 miles and this was my chance.

Paul was in hysterics as I took off the gloves, hat, jacket etc. Photo was done and then Paul set off to throw all my gear up a tree.

The second half of the run was easier for me. The pace was settled above 9 and so my heart rate was under control.

We'd headed back to Harpenden after a loop of the various woods. We took in Mud Lane and then on Pipers Lane I took the loop over the top to the Lea Valley walk while Niall and Paul headed back via a more direct route.

Overall it was 2 hours, 12.4 miles. The early effort has left me feeling as drained as I have felt in ages, so I may take tomorrow and Monday off to recharge the batteries.

1 comment: