Sunday 3 January 2010

Digging deep on a Sunday morning, 14.1miles

It was 14.1 miles before breakfast this morning. What a struggle to get up and going though. It's freezing and at 0610 when the alarm went off it was pitch dark outside. I had to remind myself why I'm doing this just to get out the door.

That was the hard bit. After that the run was a joy. The weather is cold but there is a serene stillness in the air. So when you're out its easy.

I had planned to follow the off-road route I ducked out of on Friday but as I headed down Station Road I realised it was too dark for any early off-road action. So I decided to head along to the Sewage works hill, down Medway and up to the St Albans Road. I headed for Batchwood and it was only then, at aroun 0715 that it was bright enough to get off the roads.

The sunrise was spectacular and the view over St Albans beautiful. The abbey is really prominent in the early morning sun. I took the path to Childwickbiry, then down to the Mill and along to Redbourn, up the Nicky Line, into Rothamstead Park and home.

Total was 14.1miles in 2.05, ave pace 8.55. The run was completely done at zone 1 & 2 heart rate which means I was efficient and fat burning. The legs were tired and heavy from mile 10. I guess the reps and tempo runs of the week had caught up. Good start to the week and a deserved rest day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment