Tuesday 26 November 2013

Morning & Evening Running, 8 miles

Two runs today. The first was early doors, setting off at just before 6.

I'm reading a book on training regimes which pushes the merits of Fartlek running. The basic idea is to mix up your runs with some unstructured speed work of differing distances and pace. The idea is to boost your lactate threshold and also to stave off injury - which it suggests can be related to repetitive stress from running at the same speed and style all the time.
I wasn't too hopeful but must say I was pleasantly surprised by how fresh I felt after the 4 mile harbour loop. Even more surprising was a new PR for the loop. How did that happen?

In the evening I went out again. Did the same harbour loop at one steady pace and in about the same overall time. It wasn't so much fun so I think I might factor the fartlek session into one of my sessions for the next few weeks.

Tomorrow the plan is a short 2-3miles early and then hill reps somewhere. I bet I'm not so chirpy after those.

No comments:

Post a Comment