Sunday 23 March 2014

So that's it! It's all about getting ready now….

3 weeks today and the London Marathon will be behind me! It's been a long process of building up fitness and endurance over the last 4-5 months.

It's been pretty solid apart from the bump in the road when I got ill in January. That knocked me back a good few weeks and it's been a tightrope ever since - trying to push on without ending up on the sickbed again. It was pretty bad for a week or two. Dramatic weight loss, off for a scan or 2 to make sure nothing sinister was going on and a warning to look after myself better.

On that note it forced me to reflect on what type of training and intensity I can tolerate and for how long before I tip over the edge and get ill.  I figured I could cope with about 4 weeks of the hard stuff, any more and I'd do myself no good.

So the programme I've followed has peaked over the last 3-4 weeks. It started at the Berko Half Marathon and was followed by a 70-60-60 mile week's with my rep and tempo sessions included. That's got me to a position where I'm probably as strong as I can be for a guy my age.

Now the programme is all about easing off the volume and keeping a couple of short intense sessions. That way the legs keep spinning but also recover from the pounding they've taken.

Today was my last long run. I aimed to do 20 miles and hoped to keep it under 2:45. Preparation wasn't ideal with a very late Saturday and not a lot of sleep. I got up at around 5:30 but was really struggling to get my mojo. I pottered about not sure what to wear and not sure where to run. I eventualy went out at around 6:10 feeling extremely sluggish. In fact the first 7 miles were lethargic. I was on the Herts10k loop and even though the sky was blue and the sun shining I wasn't in the zone.

I came back to the house to change out of my running jacket to dorn my Running Fource vest, take on a gel and get my drink bottle.

I forced my effort levels up for the second section. 13 miles down towards Luton on the Lea Valley path, up past Sommeries Castle, Peters Green etc etc. I've done this loop over the last few weeks and really enjoy the different gradients and challenges.

The weather was cool. The sun was out but the wind was chilling and my hands felt like they might drop off. Opening a gel at mile 12 was next to impossible as my fingers didn't work and I struggled to get the thing open.

On the way home I was pushing hard and was pleased to put in a 7:45 mile at mile 20. I felt strong as I'd been running well within my threshold pace.

It was a good run. Quite hilly with a few challenging ups and downs. That made it tough to meet my target and in the end it was just under 2:48. Still, given how I felt for the first 7 miles and how many climbs there were I'm quite pleased. 

It didn't really help me figure out what pace to push in the marathon. It's clear that if I run by heart rate I'll have no issues if I stick in the 150's. The 160's should be fine as I've seen myself put in sustained efforts at that level and not had any lactic issues post race. That'll take me to a sub 8 min pace. What that pace will be depends on so many variables - how am I feeling on the day, the weather, my hydration, how I've slept over the previous few nights….

So the hard work is done. This week will be a relatively easy 35-40 miles. I'll still run 5-6 days but cut the volume right down and my long run next week will be around 12 miles.

Thanks again for all the support. I'm a smidgeon away from my fundraising target.

No comments:

Post a Comment