Thursday 6 February 2014

Back from the South West

I've just spent a couple of days in the South West. Down by the Somerset Levels, a place everyone in the UK is aware of.

It must be said it is grim. The amount of flood water is scary - it is everywhere. Over the last few days they've also been battered by strong gale force wind which have blown down trees and resulted in power outages.



I managed a couple of runs in amongst the puddles.

Wednesday is reps day and the session was 3x800 with 2mins off, 3x600 with 90secs off, and 3x300 with 60secs off. The wind made it difficult to hold a steady pace, I was either flying, when it was behind me, or grimacing and pushing for dear life when I was into it.

I'm not yet pushing 100% so rep 1 was just to get me going. Rep 2 & 3 were comfortable. It started to hurt a bit from Rep 4 onwards as I tried to hold a faster pace. I was pleased overall with the session and happy that all of the laps were sub 7min pace. I can't be too hard on myself about the swing in lap times as the conditions played a massive part.

This morning I was up and about early so took the opportunity to stretch the legs around the harbour. The wind was gone but there was debris all over the place as well as humongous puddles. The legs felt a bit tired after the night before's efforts but after a good stretch most of the aches and pains disappeared.

Tomorrow is tempo Friday and the plan is to drop the hire car off and run home. Hopefully stepping the distance to 5 miles and holding a 7.20ish pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment