Friday 24 January 2014

Looking Good Billy Ray, Feeling Good Lewis!

Today is tempo day and although I'm still a bit weak I managed a shortish effort today at  around tempo pace.

The session was 3 x 1mile, 2min off between. I slotted the rest periods in just to give myself a chance to regroup as I've a tendency to get over-excited and set off too fast.

The reps were good and by not looking at the Garmin I just held a steady pace based on comfortable breathing. Rep 1 was steady and I had no issues but at the end of rep 2 I had a major wobble as my energy levels dipped. I've been for blood tests this morning and had to fast since yesterday, so clearly I'd not eaten enough before the session. Rep 3 was better after composing myself and keeping focused on 7-8mins of effort. The pace on the reps was ok 7:26/7:33/7:16 but the more reassuring thing was that my heart rate stayed below 168. That's a real confidence boost as over the past few years that kind of pace would have pushed me over 170. In fact this time last year I was in such bad shape that 9min mile pace was pushing me up to 170.

10 weeks to go to the London Marathon and hopefully that's me had my injury/illness downtime and I can keep building from here. Feeling Good Lewis!


No comments:

Post a Comment