Monday 6 January 2014

Sunday Long Run

Today was a test for me. 15 miles at 8min pace was the call by Phil. That's a tad too fast for my long run which should be nearer 9min pace if the text books are to be believed. But I was up for it to see how long I could last and whether my heart, legs or mental strength would buckle first.

The conditions weren't ideal. It had been a clear frozen night and all of yesterday's rain and puddles had frozen so every footpath and road was sheet ice.

Six of us set off from the George at 7am, Phil, Viddy, Darren, Steve and Richard. I must admit I felt quite out of my depth. The initial route was out towards Kinsbourne Green, up Roundwood Lane and out passed Apple Tree Farm. All was well until we came to the mother of all puddles. It was a tricky jump and scramble to get passed it but I made it. Richard was unlucky though and slipped head first into the ice bath. He was soaked through and we decided we needed to get him home before hypothermia set in.

We headed back towards Southdown and out to Heartwood, making the route up as we came across flooded areas that made us turn back.

The pace for the first 6 miles was between 7.42 - 8.22 and I was surviving. The next 4 miles were a mix of hills and mud as we made our way across to No Mans Land and the Wicked Lady pub. The pace was slower because of the conditions but the effort was constant.

Mile 11 was an uphill to Wheathamstead from the pub. This was the moment when my legs buckled. The heart rate and head were fine but my legs were shot and I couldn't keep up as the lads skipped up the hill. At the top they were waiting and I downed a gel and dug in as I knew we were now turning for home.

Mile 12 was 7.55 pace and then we arrived at Piggotshill Lane to do a rep up and down. From there it was steady home and a finishing 15.5miles in 8.19 average moving pace.

It was a really enjoyable run. Challenging in places but a true test of where I am. Compared to my 12-13 mile runs in early November and early December I've stepped up, holding a faster pace for longer. My heart rate stayed below my lactate threshold which for a run of that pace is another good confidence builder.

I'll probably do an easy 2-3 miles today just to stretch the legs out but other than that its back to work and a rest from hard running.

No comments:

Post a Comment