Friday 10 January 2014

Steady 4 mile Tempo Run

After last night's fatigue I wasn't looking forward to this session. Tempo runs have traditionally been the missing ingredient in my training plans. I'm not sure why.

Work's been full on and after spending the morning on the phone I took a quick lunchtime gap to stretch the legs and see how they were feeling. I was pleased to feel some energy and bounce. I took it easy at 8.45 pace for just 2 miles. The hard effort was coming later.

I managed to finish everything around 4pm and it was still light so I headed out straight away and after a short warm-up set off at for 4 miles at a steady 7.10 pace. The first mile was comfortable and my heart rate was well below my lactate threshold. For mile 2 it was a steady incline. Nothing serious but enough to set the heart on an upward move. From there it continued to hover at LT which for me is 171.

Mile 3 was back down the slope and then mile 4 included a slight incline which was enough to send me ragged for the last half mile. Up until then my form was solid, breathing controlled and cadence pretty quick, but for the last 800 yards it was heavy breathing, form gone and steely determination to cling on to the pace.

The Garmin says I averaged 7.10 for the 4 miles which is bang on and a miracle as my pacing is normally all over the place.

Tomorrow will be an easy day. Probably 3-4miles and possibly a ride on the bike if the weather holds out.

Have a good weekend y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment