Saturday 4 January 2014

New Year Catch Up!

It's been a while since I've been on the blog. Christmas and New Year festivities meant there was little time. Sadly illness affected the party atmosphere as both Susan's granny and uncle were in bad shape. We got through it even though our travel arrangements home were turned upside down in the last few hours before we left. We survived thanks to Susan's mum who flew home with the kids on her own. What a hero.
So the running was good. I did a hill rep session on Christmas Eve in a blizzard. I was happy with the pace and effort.
Boxing Day was a climb up the Turret and 13 miles with 1800ft climbing.
27th December was a shorter run with only a good effort up the Knock to get the heart going.
In the evening I got a surprise call from reception at the Hydro saying a certain Niall McIntyre was asking for me. It was great to catch up with Niall, Katja and family for an hour or two in the evening. Niall started me on this running journey back in 2008 and it was only a shame we couldn't fit in a few miles.

We were meant to travel home early on the 28th but an early phone call put the kibosh on that. Instead Susan and I spent the morning shuffling relatives between hospitals and care homes. After a while I was only getting in the way so was sent off to do a run. This time I set off along the route of the new Beauly-Denny power line - sorry couldn't help a bit of pylon spotting.



Sunday morning I was back in England and the legs were feeling tired after a solid week in the hills. I took it easy going round the Avenues for an easy 2.5miles.

Monday and we were off to the South coast for New Year. I managed a 10k round Camber in gale force winds and on soft sand. My legs were still feeling weary and I plodded home into the wind.
I thoroughly enjoyed spending New Years eve with the Speirs' and Hamstead's. I didn't get to run with Simon who was coughing his guts up but I did get to swim with Adrian on New Years Day.

After the New Year festivities it was time to start the hard work. 5x800 reps with 2min rest in between were the call of the day on Thursday. The heart was pounding on these but I was delighted to do what could bee my fastest ever 800m.

Friday I managed two easy runs. First a 2.5miles down the town and then a later 4.5miles round the avenues.

Today I went for a boggy, wet 3.5miles run with Jack who was on his bike. There has been a ridiculous amount of rain and some of my usual route was flooded.

It's been a steady week after the time in Scotland but tomorrow I'm out with the big boys for 15miles at 8min pace. Let's see how I get on and how long I can last at that pace.





No comments:

Post a Comment