Sunday 6 December 2009

Rain and wind, 14miles

It was howling a gale and pouring when I set off at 0640. I was meeting Anthony at 0650 and seriously thought about calling it off. The plan was a 13 mile loop together and then I was going to throw in an extra 5 miles to ratch up my longest ever run. I'd carb'd up last night and had 4 gels in the belt for some nutrition during the run. Ah the best laid plans.

The 13 miles were up to Peters Green, then to Kimpton via Barley Bean Farm. From there it was too Wheathampstead and then home. Two massive hills and a couple of small ones were included.

As we set off it was pitch black and within minutes the trainers were soaked as there was no way round some of the puddles. We headed up to Peters Green and into the wind which was howling. The rain was easing to just drizzle and slowly the daylight arrived. We chatted our way up, me banging on about my training and Anthony entertaining me with stories about Teddy Sheringham and Daniella Lloyd. His were way better.

We reached Kimpton feeling ok. Still strong but now feeling the water seep through the showerproof jacket. 6 miles to go.

A big hill up to Gustard Wood stopped the stories and had us focused on keeping a steady pace. After that it was down to Wheathampstead. Along the road to Harpenden our pace was 7.45, I thought Niall and the lads would've loved that. As we reached the Lea Valley Walk the pace had hit Anthony and we slowed to 9's. Just as I said my goodbyes to him the heavens opened. It wasn't heavy rain, this was torrential. It soaked everything instantly. I was frozen and made the decision to head for home rather than do the extra miles.

When I got in I was shocked at just how wet everything was. My trainers were water logged as were the cap, jacket and gloves. That was as bad as it's been.

So in the end 14.05 miles in 2.01, average pace 8.41 which is my new chatting pace. Disappointed that I had to call it a day as I was well up for the 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment