Friday 18 December 2009

Tempo Effort in the Snow, 8.1miles

So my trip to Warwick was snowed off and I had to return the hire car. My plan was a lunchtime trip to St Albans and a run home back along the road. Should've been ok.

Then I got the mail from Paul, "who fancies a run?" Simon quickly said no, Dave thought about it but in the end it was just me and Paul. With the words "off-road" ringing in my ears the plan was to meet at 1230. I ended up totally messing that up and in the end we met at 2.15. Sorry Paul.

We dropped the car and then the route was Sandridge-Heartwood-Harpenden. We set off downhill, no major issues although it was a bit slippy. We noted that for us forefoot strikers it was safer. On the other hand it was just as well that heel striker, Niall, was away on holiday.

From Sandridge it was onto the bridleway and up the hill. The snow was knee deep in parts so it was slow progress but still very hard work. We pressed on and resorted to the Niall skipping technique, which I confess did mean we moved quickly. I think thats when I knew I had hypothermia.

From Heartwood we headed for the infamous Mud Lane. No mud, just deep snow today. It was a nice downhill so we ramped up the pace and delivered a sub 8min mile.

It was uphill from there, to the Wheathampstead Road and then across more fields to pick up the Lea Valley walk. That was 49 mins in and that's when the "proper snow" started. It was a case of snow goggles required as the thick stuff fell.

We made it to Station Road, Paul headed home and I made my way uphill. I threw in a Dalkeith loop just to get the mileage over 8.

Got home and realised my legs were numb, my fingers were blue and my nose had icicles attached. Should be ok for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment