Sunday 18 October 2009

Going Commando

No talk of southern softies today, the temperature was 5c and it felt very cold. We were 6 heading off for a short 13 miles or a longer 20 if you were hard enough. The usual 5 were supplemented byJohn from Aro Runners and Herts10k start-line fame.


We headed for St Albans with Niall filling us in on his Art of Running workshop and the various tips and drills he'd been given. It sounded good and Niall's tactic of chatting kept the pace at an honest 7.45-8.15min/miles.

By the time we reached Childwickbury the A-team had pulled away, then John complained about his shin splints and turned for home. Paul, Niall and I took the low road while the A-team took the high road down to Batchwood Drive. We were very comfortable round the lake at Westminster Lodge and had completed 6 miles in roughly 48 mins. We passed a few of the old Kings pitches where I talked the lads through a few goals and league titles.

The way home was a new route through the Gorhambury estate. Very tranquil it was too as it took us along parallel with the A5. We crossed it and headed into the Childwickbury estate and onto Beeson End Lane. This part of the run I'd done a few times but was surprised when Paul and Niall showed me part of the path I'd previoulsy missed.

Niall then headed for another path which seemed to involve crawling on all fours under a low hanging tree, Paul and I decided to trot round the tree and not to be in Niall's commandos. Hilarity ensued, for once not at my expense, as Niall tried to get the wee sticky balls off his leggings.

I had to duck out of the last leg which was up to the Nicky Line and home, instead taking on Beeson End Lane. It wasn't too bad and I kept the HR in Z4 for it. As I neared home Crabtree Lane seemed harder.

The good news was I made it home before the kids were up for breakfast, so I'll be allowed out next week! The run was 12 miles at 8.07 pace and I can't believe I'm saying this, but, it was easy (z2 and 3 on all but the last hills). I'll force a rest day tomorrow and then pick it up again on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment