Thursday 15 October 2009

Half Marathon Mesocycle

A busy day meant no reps at lunchtime and most of the day I was thinking it would be another easy 3-4 miles. However, I felt good in the evening and decided to kick off metocylcle 2, building for the Grand Union Half Marathon in under 4 weeks.

The Running Inn set out a revised plan that involves different reps, tempo runs and endurance work. This was session 1, 10x400 at mile pace with 90 seconds recovery. It sounded a long recovery but as I was still a bit jaded from Sunday I was happy.

400's at night are perfect. It's easy to find a stretch of lamposts that run that far, 800 is a bit more tricky. I started down the end of Coldharbour Lane and set off towards Crabtree Lane. By the time I was going up the hill I'd lost count of which rep I was on! Just like swimming.

After Crabtree it was High Beeches and along to Long Buftlers, back to Meadway and down to Southdown. I finished down there and was still very strong. In fact my last rep on the flat was one of the quickest. Maybe 90 seconds recovery is too long but they know what they're doing at the Running Inn.

Still, it was a good session with all but the Crabtree Hill rep completed under 4min/km pace. Happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment