Sunday 11 October 2009

Herts 10k a race to remember

After last year's Herts 10k I began running with Niall on a regular basis. He was coaxed me along on our first runs down Wheathampsted and Childwickbury. He then paced me to a December 1.44 in the Bedford Half Marathon. Since January 4th we've run on almost every Sunday morning at 07.15, this was a chance to see how things had gone for me.

We were prepared. We'd run the route, intervalled the route, scouted it and you name it we'd done it. We got together on Saturday night to Carbo load and decide on tactics. A Hail Mary was agreed. I would set off at 6.30 pace, Niall would lead the hill and from the Nicky Line it was every man for himself. Brilliant and playing too our strengths. We even got a pre race bag from Niall and family, some brilliant accessories and post race nurition. I was lucky to get two as Paul hadn't made it along.

Sunday morning prep wasn't text book. The new baby and recovering wife means I'm running around a lot and dealing with the break out of world war 3. Luckily I'd set the alarm on my phone to remind me it was time to go.

Niall, Dave and I met at 0915, where was Paul? We joked our way down and after missing Adrian, the lads dropped their bags. I made my way to the start line and decided row 2 was for me. Soon I was joined by Simon then Dave, Niall and with seconds to go Paul.

The start by Richard Hill and Andy Farrell was excellent and we were off. Within 30 yards I had the encouragement of "Go Kenny!" from Adrian and family. The Hail Mary was on, I was off and in the pack, even saw Simon skip in and out of the melly to get to the front. Comfortable but thinking it was a tad fast. Looked at the Garmin and it was 5.51 pace. Ok, steady the ship. A few elites passed and I hear Niall say, "too many going passed, speed up." I did slightly but then eased off again.

At 1km Niall says, "we're on target, you'd better speed up Dave". As we moved on I felt the legs were strong and took the downhill at a good cadence and relaxed. I was aware I'd left Dave and Niall behind but felt strong.

As we moved through the golf course the Garmin beeped for 2 miles done, I'd done them in 12.22. Times that by 3 and I was on 37.06 pace. Ha ha!

Dave passed and said something like your a legend. I was cheered by that. Turned onto the hill and kept the pace up. Encouraged a guy from Aro's who was struggling, turned out to be Darren, who responded and powered on. I made it to the top knowing I'd put in a heck of an effort and wasn't half way. At this point I relaxed, my mind drifted and I relaxed into a good pace and form. That was fine until Falconers Field where there's a sneaky incline and I felt it again. From their I was on the redline home. Heart rate was 185-190 all the way.

The Nicky Line and the fields were a battle of the will. My mind was playing games "ease off", "42 is a good time", "you've not had enough sleep" etc etc. But I kept as best I could to hold the pace.

As we neared the gate to the finishing straight I was encouraged by my neighbour John who was the steward at that point. As we went through a group accellerated passed, in the mix was Niall who was going strong. I tried to respond but by the time I'd got up to his speed there was a 4-5 second gap. I came round the final corner and got more encouragement from Adrian in the crowd, that helped me to hold onto Niall who was going like a rocket. I felt the tingle in my fingers as my efforts reached the peak. Over the line in 41.09.

I almost fell over as I got my breath but was up to celebrate with Niall. Brilliant! Simon was there offering congratulations and soon Dave and Paul were there too. A fantastic effort by each of us. Results - Simon 36.21 (11th & PB) Dave 39.37 (39th) Niall 41.05 (63rd & PB) Kenny 41.09 (67th& PB) Paul 41.52 (84th).

I am ecstatic following the race and know that there's more to come. More endurance work and that 6.11 pace will last more than 2 miles. Woop woop.

No comments:

Post a Comment