Sunday 29 November 2009

Mud, Ponds and Rain, 15.1 miles

Sunday's long run was set at 12 miles and in the direction of Redbourn. The weather was the pits. Heavy rain overnight had stopped when I set off at 0645 but within minutes it was back.

My Garmin gave up the ghost on the way to the meeting point, I'd forgotten to charge it. Doh. So, I was going to have to run at the lads pace, too fast, for the run. Oh well.

We were joined by a new runner today, Anthony from Liverpool. We met Niall & Dave and headed up towards the Nicky Line but as it was so dark we couldn't take the path. So we headed down Cooters End Lane and then over to Kinsbourne Green, down passed Redbourn Golf Course and onto the lower end of the Nicky Line. The weather was trash and I could already tell this was going to be a longer run than planned. Nice baptism for Anthony.

We ran through Redbourn and out under the M1. we then crossed a muddy field or 2 and made our way back to Redbourn. We had now clocked 9 miles and were a long way from home.

The plan was to take a direct-ish route to Beeson End Lane but it turned out to be a trek across the boglands of Hertfordshire. As the lads floated along I felt like a heffalump, sinking and slipping my way. That was energy sapping. We could see roughly where we should've been going but seemed to be going round in circles. Eventually we made our way down towards a house and rejoiced as we found a recognisable path. We knew it was 3 uphill miles to home, which to be honest at the time was a relief.

We made our way up the hills with Dave and Niall bolting it while Anthony and I ceased any form of communication and just plodded on. Dave left us all for dead while Niall came back to offer moral support. We made it to Crabtree Lane as a 3, high fived and then Iwas off home.

Toughest run in ages. Mentally distressing, especially at mile 9 knowing we're miles from home and then again when we were lost in the bogs!

Its taken a good while to recover. I was absolutely freezing. Did I mention the weather? Oh and my new trainers, hard to believe they are only 3 runs old.

Anthony passed the initiation.

No comments:

Post a Comment