Sunday 1 November 2009

Not so easy Sunday morning

Next week is the Grand Union Canal Half Marathon, so Niall and I are supposed to be in taper mode for the race. We agreed an easy run, 5 miles, 2 easy, 1 at race pace, 2 easy and home.

We'd received a mail from Simon calling the shots for the non racers, it sounded fun and my legs were feeling strong on Saturday night, so I was tempted to call Niall and say lets do the other longer run. I didn't make the call, using my head instead of my heart.

We met at 0730 at Niall's, an extra 15 mins in bed hadn't been much use, I'd been kicking my heels since 7am ready to roll. From Niall's we headed along the Cooters End Lane loop, up the hill and along to the Nicky Line. Niall was keeping the pace safe by chatting away. Up the hill he tactically handed the conversation to me! I was gasping but I suppose it slowed us.

The rain had started to get heavier but in the shelter of the Nicky Line we weren't too uncomfortable. At Mile 4 we thought we'd put in the race pace, 6.45-6.50, mile. We assured each other we wouldn't race and keep it steady. We found the pace reasonably quickly and settled into it. The section of Nicky Line is downhill, so it was easy. I looked down for a second and when I looked up Niall had put 10 yards between us. I raised the pace and got on his tail, he increased the pace again and I looked at the Garmin, 6.05 min/mile, mmm, I decided to back off competely and eased to 8's, my heart rate had gone way high in the 2-300 yards of fast stuff.

We headed home from the bottom of the line, 2.95 miles from my house. Chatted our way along but going through the fields we were soaked and battered by the wind. Best moment was my cap going flying 20 yards up in the air.

So in the end the 5 miles had become near enough 10 and the easy bit had been minimal. I'm feeling tired and glad I have a good excuse for an easy week. Still not sure how hard to push next week. At this point a 90 minute half marathon feels out of reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment