Sunday 8 November 2009

Saving the best for last

This was my last race of the year. I was hoping to finish with a new PB and something close to 90 mins but the events of the week conspired to make it stressful and sleep deprived. So this morning I woke feeling completely knackered and drained but Niall was relying on me for a lift so there was no bunking off now. Quick check on FB and the news was Dave was coming too.
We had a laugh on our way down to Watford which certainly helped pep me up. On arrival we had a trip to the portaloo. Just as Niall set off the man with the fork lift truck arrived. Visions of Niall being levitated added to the fun.
Dave & Niall weren’t clear on their race strategies. Mine was to take it slow and steady, I didn’t expect to have anything in the tank. Susan had given me nutrition advice, good breakfast, marshmallows before the race and gels at 4, 8 & 10.5. That might get me home in 99 or less.
On the start-line I made a quick decision to blast the first 800 yards, see if I could lead for a bit and have a laugh. So after a minute silence for Remembrance Day we were off and I was in the lead! For all of 30 yards, then 3 guys slotted in just in front and I took the first 300 yards in 4th. On reaching the first gate I knew it was time to slow and after a bit both Niall & Dave went passed. I’d had my fun!
From then I tried to take it steady and slow, keeping an eye on my heart rate and determined to get it in low Z4 or Z3. I kept was being passed by quite a few runners, eventually the first woman went passed and I tucked in behind her for a while, when the second lady went passed they were off and I eased again. Then the 3rd woman came along and I tried to stay with her but again started drifting back as I realised my HR was too high. At 10k, I checked the time and was through in 44.30, over 3 minutes down on Herts 10K. Niall and Dave were out of sight and I thought they must’ve been close to the 10k pace and therefore both on for sub 90’s.
I felt comfortable and kept my pace steady by tracking the 4th lady. She was chasing down lady 3 who was up ahead. I felt strong and realised I was now picking off people who had previously gone passed me. I went passed the now 3rd lady at mile 8 and expected her to track me, but I was now running strongly and my pace was increasing so she fell away. Using some of Niall’s tips I just focused on the next shirt ahead and just reeled them in. As I reached mile 10 I was amazed to see Niall just 3 shirts ahead. I tried not to panic, was I going too fast, instead I just checked my HR was ok and kept my form and belief that I was going to finish strong.
As I went passed Niall he upped his pace and we ran together for a few minutes, we had a quick joke but when Niall stopped for water he never got back on my tail. I kept moving, feeling strong and picking off shirts every 50 yards. As I reached mile 11 I couldn’t believe my eyes, there was Dave, walking and not looking too good. I went passed and tried to give some encouragement. I was now in uncharted territory, ahead of both my Jedi Masters and feeling like I still had a strong finish in my legs.
With 2 miles to go I knew I was going to be close to 95 minutes, I also knew I was strong and that 2 miles hardly counts as a run, so I concentrated on keeping my form and cadence high.
The final mile was almost all uphill. I was still picking off shirts and looking at a decent finishing place when all of a sudden I am aware of someone catching me, the breathing is heavy but the effort is supreme. I follow Niall’s tip to raise the knee and maintain cadence rather than start to overstride. It works and I hold off whoever is chasing me down. I am certain it’s Niall and that he’s put in an unbelievable effort. Unbelievably my opponent digs in and pulls parallel, I look down expecting to see a pair of long socks but I’m surprised to see a pair of ankle socks. It’s not Niall! I am slightly relieved and keep the pace up to see if I can crack 95 mins. As we reach the top of the path I nearly start crying, we have to double back and the finish is another 400 yards. I dig in and get over the line in 1hr 33mins and 43seconds, beating my previous best by 11 minutes.
I was ecstatic and enjoyed the water and banana before Dave arrived in 1.34 and Niall in 1.36. For me it had been my best race ever. I felt strong all the way and have set a new bar for myself. Belief is so important and now I know I can hold 7.10 pace for 13 miles.
Now I start building the mileage. My most important event next year is the London Marathon. I want 3 hours. It is achievable.

1 comment: