Wednesday 28 April 2010

London Marathon, the last 7 miles!


So mile 19 hurt but I was prepared for a phase which would involve the gritting of teeth. I knew I wasn't injured, I'd felt the pain before and knew it wasn't real. I was taking on my gels and as much fluid as I could. Lets get this done.

Mile 20 I dig in and its back to 8.00 pace. I'm happy with that and keep digging. The sun is out and the temparature is rising. I'm feeling hot and need water. I take as much as I can but nearly throw up. So keep the bottle and decide to sip it carefully. Mile 21 is 8:48.

The pain is now pretty much excruciating. I normally feel the pain in my calves but today its the quads and thighs. They are in agony and every step is hurting. I keep my head down and dig in but I know its gone very slow.

I look up and see a guy dressed as Dangermouse go passed. Oh no, I have nothing in the tank and can't respond. This is going to be a disaster. The crowd are cheering for him. Nightmare.

The odd shout of "c'mon Kenny" is the last thing I want to hear. I am no longer in a good place and I don't need reminding! Shut up!

Everything is saying stop, walk, no one cares, why are you doing this? But I can't, no way, I'm not doing that. I start saying "believe, believe, believe". The dark thoughts go and then justice is done, Dangermouse is on the side with cramp! Mile 22 is 9:23.

I just keep turning the legs, determined not to walk, the pace is bad and I'm doing all sorts of calculations. 3:30 is on, 3:40 is certain, just don't walk. Mile 23 is 9:23.

Mile 24 and I know the family are near the end, I dig in. The sun is out, the crowd shout "c'mon Kenny, you're looking good!" Oh yeah? Give me a break!

I approach the end of 24 and looking along the length of the crowd I see our frind Mez! Then the family, Susan, the kids, Steve, Jonny & Jamie. They are cheering like mad, all smiles and beaming faces!

I got a fantastic rush from that. Then 100 yards further on I see Michael, Kate & Eva"C'mon Kenny".

I'm back, even if I look completely shattered! I start to engage with the crowd again and know I'm going to get through. Mile 24 is 9:01.

Right, here we go. Blackfriars Tunnel is a tough part of the course, Niall has warned me. 24 miles of cheering and now you descend below the road and railway lines, into the darkness, into the silence. I've been warned to ignore the casualties as people give up and drop out, be prepared for the silence, be prepared for a climb out of the tunnel.

I start my descent prepared. As I reach the bottom I see the end and the light. I'm nearly out and I'm waiting for the bad bit. There must be some mistake? That wasn't too bad.

I can see Big Ben. I know I'm nearly there but no counting my chickens. Mile 25 clicks over and its back in the 8's.

Now I need to keep going. But its really hard and Big Ben isn't getting any closer. The scene along the Embankment is like something out of "Saving Private Ryan". There are casualties everywhere. People on the side throwing up, people walking, stretchers, its a disaster. I'm chugging on. Up ahead its the 40km mark, we have to run across the mats so the timing chips clock us. I mentally tell myself to lift my feet, I could trip. Next thing the runner in front goes flying, does the trip I'd just thought about.

I keep going but the sun is out and Big Ben is being evasive. This is hard again. Finally make it and turn up passed Westminster and can see the gates into Birdcage walk. I'm nearly there.

Onto Birdcage Walk and its lined with supporters and trees, I'm in pain and just trying to maintain momentum. Mile 26 clicks, 8:45. Keep going.

I'm running next to the crowd when someone shouts "there's a ballet dancer ahead!" I look up, 20 yards ahead is a guy dressed in a pink tutu and a set of wings. He's doing a dead man shuffle, "you can catch him" shouts the crowd. I speed up and chase him down, the crowd are cheering and as I get passed they all woop! I'm shattered and then see the 800m to go sign. Oh no, but I know I can do that in 180 seconds. I start counting and keep going. I reach 180 and look up, there's the sign saying 400m to go. I nearly start crying. Where's the finish? My garmin says I've done 26.5miles, this is a joke. Where am I?

I keep going and eventually round a corner see the finish. It looks 400 metres away! This is a nightmare. I keep going, my fingers are tingling as no blood is reaching them, I'm oblivious to everything but manage to raise my arms in defiance. I didn't walk. I reach the finish, stop running and do the jelly legs walk. Done it. Final time 3:32:30.

I don't fall over but I'm out of it. I am moved along by the stewards, "here's your medal", "keep moving please", "go and get a photo taken", "collect your bag".

"Where are the Virgins?" I ask but no one knows.

I head to the meet and greet point. Dave's there. He says he's had a nightmare. His worst bit was when I guy dressed as a ballet dancer passed him on the finishing straight.

The London Marathon, ecstacy, pain, tears and in the end one of the funniest moments of the year. Done and I'm ready to sign up for next year. Team Tutu anyone?

1 comment: