Thursday 1 April 2010

Reps on the Nickey Line, 5.5miles

Worked at home today so missed the lunchtime reps with the elite. Instead I took the opportunity to do my old favourite 6x800m with 2mins off.

I did these week in week out between July and November last year. So I was hoping to see some improvement. My average pace in the old days over the 6 reps was marginally under 4min/km pace, just about 3.58's on average.

I did a decent warm-up to make sure I ready. It's a bit different on your own, no one to pace off and no one to keep you honest. I was just determined to do my best and see an improvement.

Rep 1 was steady. I tried to maintain "Will" pace. He's the National Grid elite who takes rep 1 steady, just easing into it. Rep 2 was into the wind and slightly up hill, so it was harder work.
Rep 3 and I'm feeling it. Rep 4 and the wind feels stronger. Rep 5, second last, important to keep working on this one, so the Will trick is to tell yourself this is the last and not ease off. Rep 6 and I'm blowing hard and the Paula Radcliffe bobbing about is back for the first time in ages. Finish off and nearly stumble into the bushes. Good work out and I'm hoping the Garmin's going to have good news.

I get myself home and the reps are just what I wanted, from a pace perspective they are:
3:42 / 3:45 /3:41 / 3:52 /3:33 / 3:52

Woo hoo. That's an average of 3:44 and a massive step up in pace and endurance. A sub 40minute 10k is achievable this year which would be a fantastic reward for all the hard winter training.

2 comments: