Monday 26 April 2010

Virgin London Marathon, Pre Race

This was it. Race day. 1000 miles in training, too many blogs to mention, over 60 sponsors, a newspaper article, a news piece at National Grid and a target time of 3:15. No pressure then!


The weather had been dominated by a high pressure in the south of England which has meant cold bright mornings that got warmer as the day went on. The forecast was for a boiling hot day.


This morning however it's warm and muggy. Oh dear. Humidity? We haven't had that since last October. I think it could be bad.

Breakfast at 0615 is cornflakes, coffee and toast. I'm force feeding myself because I know I'll need the energy later. Toilet stop before I head to meet Dave for the 0647 train to London Bridge.


The banter is good. The train is full of very nervous runners. Training done, no going back now. Everyone is perplexed with the weather. What's going to happen.


At London Bridge Dave and I go our separate ways, he's off to the Blue Start with the elite. I'm off to the Red Start with the pineapples, bananas and a few Darth Vaders.


On the train to Greenwich I talk to a guy called Rupert. He's not run for a while but done lots of gym work. On a cross trainer apparently. Man alive, how did this guy get a place? He's not done any running. I overhear a guy telling how he's lost 8 stone since Christmas - good lad. I then spot Darth Vader II telling a few Storm Troopers to pull themselves together. Mmm I wonder if the Blue Start is this interesting!


At Greenwich its mayhem. Red Bull are dishing out freebies. People are everywhere. All shapes and sizes. Everyone on the way to the start zone.


I arrive and find the loos. Good idea to go straight there. I join a queue 5 people long, I'm waiting 30 seconds. I come out and the queue is 15 long. 5 minutes later and they are 40-50 people long and growing!


I settle down on the grass. 1hr 15mins to race start so no need to get too excited. I sit back, sip my Lucozade sport, eat a carb bar and watch the sights.


At about 0845 it starts to rain. Just a little at first, then the heavens open. I am prepared, standard issue bin-liner is in my bag. I get the old jumper on too and I'm happy, warm and dry. I decide to ditch my bag at the baggage truck and head to my starting pen. I'm in zone 1, which is bang at the front. I get down there and everyone is hiding under the trees freezing.


I hang about before ditching the gear and heading to the very front of the pen. I'm bang in the middle staring at the stewards and the back of Jonathon Edward's head. I'm in nap position. I begin thinking "blow race pace, if I'm at the front I'm going to go like the clappers and get in the lead! I am going to sprint the first 400 yards!!" I've done it before but this is the biggy! Niall will be proud.

Before we get going the weather changes again! Now its stopped raining and is warming up and its humid. Oh dear, what's this all about? We look at each other wondering why we're sweating and we haven't started.


Eventually they walk us out of the park and round the corner to the start-line proper. Disaster, about 200 people are already there. It's the "good for age" bunch and they are uber fast. So my moment of glory is not going to happen!


We are held up for a few seconds and then with no major countdown we're off. No going back now. Ok, what was my race plan again?

No comments:

Post a Comment