Saturday 3 April 2010

Longest and last, 21.2miles

Longest ever run today. It was forecast to be windy and potential for rain so I headed out with the old bright yellow jacket - wind proof and shower proof, and light enough to tie up if it got too hot, as it did. I only had one shower of rain and it was refreshing.

The route took me down to Redbourn and then out the back towards Flamstead, but cutting left towards Hemel's Woodhall Farm estate. I made a left turn instead of a right by mistake and ended up at Gaddesdon Row. I headed down an unknown road which I knew would eventually take me into Hemel. It did and I had to cut back out to pick up the route over to Buncefield. From there it was down to the St Albans road and back to the watermill. 13 miles done I headed over to Childwickbury and up to the Harpenden road. Instead of going left I turned right and headed towards St Albans. I picked up the bridleway by Woolams Sports Fields and then headed back towards Ayers End Lane. This was a bad decision as the fields were boggy and energy sapping.

I headed down Ayers End Lane feeling very tired and on reaching Southdown knew a loop via Long Buftlers would see me complete 20. I did that and then took a detour along Dalkeith to see me go over 21 miles. The last few miles were tough and overall it was 3hours 15mins, average pace was 9.15. Apart from the last few miles it was easy.

So that's the last really long run before London. There are 3 weeks to go. Next week is a 16miler followed by a 10 or 11 the week before race day. The mileage eases off now. Probably a 50mile week ahead followed by a 35/40. Either way, the 1000miles should be done before race day. Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment