Thursday 25 February 2010

Hill Reps, oh no, 5.2miles

It's been a tiring week. I'd better get my excuses in early.

I've been to Suffolk, home late from that. Then down to Bristol, up early for that, then home late. Then up to Warwick, early drive again.

As well as work, I've shot myself in the foot by setting my alarm for 4.45 instead of 5.45. Would've been ok if I'd noticed straight away, but I'd had my shower and was drinking coffee when I saw the clock was only 5.00. I was getting the 6.20 train! Doh.

So today was hill reps at National Grid. I've learned my lesson not to try and keep up with the fast guys. Turns out they do 1.20 half marathons and 37min 10ks, no wonder I'm falling to pieces when I try and hold their pace.

It was a mile out to the hill. The fast guys set the jogging pace at 8.01. I and half the group were wacked before we started.

The hill was 300m. A good climb, then flattish, then another incline to finish. The elite would be 1.01'ish, the plebs 1.06-1.10, that was the call.

So we were off. My splits for the first 5 were 1.10, 1.09, 1.09, 1.07, 1.07. It was painful. The second last was absolute murder and I slipped back to 1.09. The final hail mary was all or nothing and I pulled a 1.06 out of the bag. I nearly collapsed and if I'd been able I would've been sick.

The pace for the reps was 6.30, 6.19, 6.19, 6.14, 6.12, 6.27 and 5.56.

I'm pretty pleased in hindsight about the 5.56 but it was seriously tough and I felt awful for a good minute afterwards. The elite had pulled out 59sec last reps, I'm scared to work out just how fast that was.

Great session, I'm sure it will have done some good. I just need a rest after it.

No comments:

Post a Comment