Saturday 20 February 2010

Three Hours, 20.2miles

It was a step up in distance and time today. The plan was a 20 mile loop at 9min pace to see me home in 3 hours. My longest run ever is 17miles and that was a killer.

I was delighted when Paul suggested joining me for 13 miles. It is just so much easier running with company. So we agreed a 0630 meet but only a vague idea of what we might do.

In the end Paul had a route planned which was pretty tough. We headed for Redbourn via Rothamstead Park and the Nickey Line. From there we headed out passed the M1 and towards Gaddesdon Row. We looped back to cross the Hemel Road and pick up the old St Albans Half Marathon route. The route was very up and down, but there was one tricky hill which we took steady and I managed to talk! Back in the day I didn't talk on the flat, never mind on a hill.

We crossed the St Albans Road and headed for the Watermill and Beeson End Lane. It was a strange experience going up this at Mile 12. Paul was itching to speed up but I tried to slow him, failing miserably. At the 1081 we headed into West Common and then back to Rothamstead Park. This was where Paul headed for home. He would've done 15 or more by the time he got home.

I carried on and decided to do the Herts 10k route. It was hard going. Frozen mud isn't great for running on, especially when your legs are aching. The path through the Golf Course was ok, I was lucky not to get my head taken off by some of the golfers though.

The hill back up to Harpenden was the toughest section of the run. This was between 16.5 and 17.5. It was hard work keeping my form and not crumpling into a heep at the side of the road. I reached the Nickey Line at mile 18.5 and decided it was time to turn for home along the Nickey Line and clock 20miles rather than extend the loop and take 22.

There was a day when I always met someone I knew on my runs. On the Nickey Line I met Maz Sebborn and then Sacha Noble. Funny how my aching limbs eased when I got an encouraging word.

At the end of the Nickey Line there's a set of steps. I could've done without them. I struggled up and then along passed St Georges. The Garmin beeped 20 miles at 2hours 58 and I tried to speed up for the length of Cowper Road. I suppose I must've as that section was 8.18 pace while the previous 4 miles had been well over 9min miles.

It turned out to be a cracking morning for a long run, cold but dry and no wind. It was dark when we took off but we had a great sunrise and then a beautiful blue sky to enjoy. Today we saw a fox sprinting across a field and I heard a woodpecker giving it some on the 10k section.

Overall it was 20.2miles, 8.55pace, 2800calories and 1967feet of climbing. The effort involved in the last 6 miles is unbelievably tough compared to the first 14. As Paul said, I'll probably feel very similar on Marathon day with 6 miles to go. Yuck.

1 comment:

  1. Great run Ken. Really important to recover now and the next long one will be easier and a little longer. I'm with you in spirt buddy, keep going!

    ReplyDelete