Sunday 14 February 2010

Oh dear, 15.6miles

I was planning a stab at a 3 hour run today but was as ill prepared as I've been so had to cut it short. Our good friends Steve and Mez were round and stayed till midnight, so that meant 6 hours sleep if I was lucky.

When I set off on the run I was still half asleep. I had my water and 4 gels, I'd had no food and a little glass of water. It was 0615 and the rest of the lads were meeting at 0745 at the George so I decided a 10 mile Luton Hoo-Pepperstock was ideal.

However, the energy levels were low and with snow streaming in my face it was a slow slog. I got back to the George at 0750 and the lads were off.

I headed out towards Childwickbury and considered a loop and back up Beeson End Lane. But disaster struck as I crawled my way out of Harpenden. The old wobbly legs kicked in and all my energy was gone. I downed 2 gels and some water and hoped for the best. By the time I got to Ayers End Lane I was ok, but decided to head for home. It was slow all the way and when I got home it was a swift breakfast and bath.

Big lesson on prep for the longer runs. Need to be fueled and well rested, especially if I've done a 13 miler the day before. Doh. In the end it was 15.6 miles in 2 hours 30mins. I was 10 mins longer than last week but it was a lot less fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment