Sunday 7 March 2010

Berkhamsted, 14.5miles

This is all about what might have been. Pretty deflated after a good build up and confidence I was going to PB.

Last year I suffered a tear to my calf on this race, it's an old football injury, but hasn't bothered me since last year. Guess what the same old injury was aggravated today. I felt the twinge at 10.55miles and stopped straight away.

Although I was on for the pb and close to creeping under 90min, I stopped and decided not to jeopardize the marathon which is in 7 weeks. Up until then I was in good form and feeling strong.


I arrived at the start in time to do over a mile as a warm-up. It was freezing but I took my time and made sure I was ready. I hooked up with Dave at the start and we exchanged target times.


From the off I was steady, 6.50 followed by 6.52. Perfect start and running within myself. Mile 3 was uphill. I took it steady and didn't lose any places. 99th as I passed the marshall with a 7.46.


The plan had been to get back to 6.50's but mile 4 was still an incline so it was 7.10. Mile 5 was back to pace, 6.45, and I was feeling strong. Mile 6 was down and I was solid at 6.22. Halfway and I was just over 45mins.


Things were looking good. Mile 10 has Ashridge College, last year this was my low point, I struggled to get up to it. This year I was surprised to see it and was steady 10miles done in 71.07mins.


From Mile 10 the course turns downhill. I was strong and mentally focused on getting the pace up. Mile 11 was going well, average pace was 6.38 and I was feeling very very comfortable.


Then disaster struck at 10.55. Felt the calf twinge and recognised it straight away. Took a couple of extra strides to make sure and then stopped. I stretched out the calf/achilies and watched the group who were following roll passed. I was out. Crap. I immediately thought about the marathon - I need to ease my way home and not do any further damage. So I started the slow jog back. It was depressing having people grunt passed me while I just jogged along trying to focus on the bigger picture.

Strolled to the finish with people shouting "come on 525 - don't give up!" Nice one but not what I needed.

1hr 38mins. My second fastest half marathon ever but gutted to have an injury and not set a bar for London. Sub 90 was within grasp on a very hilly course - 2076ft of ascent is enough to set the terrets off.

Anyway, good decision. The leg is elevated, the frozen peas and mixed veg are doing the job and the ibuprofen gel is stinking the house out. Went for a walk a while ago and it felt a bit better. The healing has begun.

On reflection I'm glad it happened with 2.6miles to go, any closer to home and I would have gone for the pb and blown the marathon. Now I have time to recover and hopefully complete the marathon without any problem. The next few weeks will be a tightrope though, if I push too hard it won't heal and if I ease off too much goodbye 1000miles.

1 comment:

  1. Good decision! Looking forward to reading all about your physio....

    ReplyDelete