Sunday 28 March 2010

Long run, 20.3miles

Today was my last very long run of the training regime. 20 miles from Hemel Hempstead, through Ashridge Forest and back. It's pretty hilly and covers the same route as the Berkhamsted Half Marathon. For the regular reader, yes, that's where I get injured every year. Nice.

This run has 500 participants, its well known on the London Marathon training circuit. I'm looking forward to seeing how I react to the crowds. My 20-milers have been tough runs. The last few miles have been very tough on each of them, so today will be a good test of progress.


Before I set off there are a few decisions to make. Pace? Race attire? Shall I go to the toilet?


I decide that pace wise I'm going to stick to 9's for the first half and then step up and see what I can hold in the second half. That should test my mental ability to push hard in the latter parts of a long race.


The weather forecast is for sunny spells. That means vest and dodgy running shorts. I've picked up a pair of what Paul and Niall call "lingerie" - skimpy shorts with big splits. Them and my compression socks and, well, not the best look I've had.

Anyway, decision made and when Dave comes round to give me a lift there is one last chance for the loo.

Dave's turned up in an X5. I think its his dad's but he announces, "did I tell you I got a new car?" It's black, blacked out windows and has in-car TV! I reckoned he picked it up off the set of The Bill, its closing down and they won't need the baddies car any more. But no, he got it in Welwyn.

We watched the Grand Prix in the pimp mobile. One of the highlight's of the day.

In Hemel everyone is dressed in jackets, tights and hats. It's freezing. I spot one other guy (out of 500) in a vest. I say to Dave, "me and him will be the one's laughing at the end" and I just get a look of "yeah, keep trying to convince yourself of that!".

We bump into Simon aka Spiersy and he's all set for a quick run. He's in a jacket but kindly doesn't laugh out loud at my attire.

We head off for the starting pens. Simon and Dave in 7min pace and me in the 9's.

From the off its a bit faster than 9's but we hit the steps to the canal so we stop and have to go down in single file. Mile 1 is my slowest at 9.33.

Along the canal tow path is hard work. It's muddy and there's a few people huffing an puffing. 9's is looking like 8.30's. But hey, 2 miles in and I'm feeling warm again and all those guys in hats, jackets and gloves are wondering what to do! 18 miles to go and the sun is out. Woo hoo, good decision Kenny Boy!

First hill is mile 4. Its a good incline for the whole mile, 9.17 was taking it easy. The route now joins the Berko Half Marathon route. I know where I am and although we're doing it in reverse I'm prepared for the ups and downs.

First 10miles were completed in 85mins and mostly in heart rate zone 2. That's 8.30 pace and fairly easy on the body.

I decided to step the effort up and see how zone 3 felt. It was feeling good and I moved through the masses at around 8.00 pace. All was good until mile 17 when one of the marshall's says "104th". Oh, it'd be good to be in the top 100. So I look ahead and see the shirts in the distance that I need to pass.

Mile 18 is 7.34 pace. Nice and now I'm 95th. Oh it'd be good to be top 90. Mile 19 is 7.34. Now I'm 85th. Mile 20 and I feel strong and keep it going, reaching 82nd I run out of course! 7.13 for the last mile and a funny little extra 0.3 mile to the steps. Finished in 2.44 with 79 mins for the second half.

After that its time for tea and cake back in the clubhouse. Simon and Dave have nailed it (2.13 and 2.24), now that's the way to do it.

Overall it was a good day. Best performance on a 20mile run and felt strong all the way. It was a hilly course and after a fairly intense week so I'll enjoy the rest day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment