Thursday 25 March 2010

Reps and Recovery, 10.2miles

It was a really warm sunny day up in Warwick. Perfect for shorts and a t-shirt. Mmm, I had left both at home so it was leggings and a long top. Black as well, to really absorb the sun and make it uncomfortable.

The session was 6mins on - 2 misn off, 4 sets. Uber Will was planning a long run so was going to take it easy. That left it for the rest of us to set the pace.

There's a guy I hadn't spoken to, so I made a bee-line to introduce myself. He turns out to be training for the European Sprint Triathlon Championships. OK, he'll be fine then.

First rep James the triathlete goes off like a greyhound. He maintains at least a 30yard gap on us. Leading the bunch is Mike (40.01 10k). He had a bad one last week and says he's tired but he leads the whole way and sets a steady 6.10 pace.

Second rep and James decides he'll be sociable. He stays just a few yards ahead of Mike who again leads the pack. 6.16 pace is steady.

Third rep and Mike is the new Lazarus, he's passed James and the pack are drifting. I'm very happy with my 6.09 pace.

Last rep and I fully expect Mike to blow up. He was a mess last week but this week he's on fire. He maintains the pace and again eases away from the pack. I am feeling it on the last 2 mins and finish with a 6.14 pace.

Performance of the day was Mike, incredible recovery after last week and a real show of strength. Overall it was 5.7miles at lunchtime.

After a late one at work I got home and went straight out. An easy 4.7miles over to Southdown, round the houses and back. Easy and the legs felt good.

Excellent day and 10.2miles covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment