Thursday 18 March 2010

Reps, 5x4min, 6.2miles

Out with the National Grid elite for lunchtime reps. It was incredibly intimidating, just 5 of us, 3 uber young guns and Mike and me. Keep in mind Mike is 40.01min 10k, so really it's me as tail end Charlie.

The session was 5x4mins with 2mins off. The weather was ideal, no wind and a very mild 10c.

The first rep was very tight, Will and the lads just easing in, me and Mike thinking "that was fast". 5.45 average pace.

Second rep was a bit faster, but the fast boys build it slowly, great to watch as they just ease away. Mike and I were dragged along, 5.42 pace.

Third rep was a killer. The lads were in their stride and getting faster while Mike and I struggled to keep our previous effort. 5.50 pace.

Penultimate rep is always the worst. Mike was in bits and didn't get going, I managed to keep it together until the last 30 secs which really hurt. 5.58 pace.

Last rep felt easier, Mike got back into it but gave in after 30 seconds, I stayed on the tail of the lads but with 2mins to go they just eased up a gear and away they went. I held on and pushed hard for the last minute. 6.00 pace.

I can safely say that the 3 fast guys got faster every rep - given their slow one was 5.42 that is some going. Personally I was delighted that's my fastest set ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment