Saturday 20 March 2010

The Hill, the Hoo and a celebrity, 20.1miles

Susan is away in Scotland. I've been left at home with 3 of the kids. So it's a bit tricky getting out this weekend. However, a window of opportunity opened when they all got invited out for tea!

3 hours. Perfect for 20 miles, or I could watch Scotland-Ireland? Well we've been doing so well I chose the 20 mile option.

Headed down to the bottom of Station Road and out towards Luton. Took on the Hill over to Luton Hoo. It wasn't too bad, but its early in the run. Through the Luton Hoo estate and then I decided to head to Slip End. Bad decision, felt like Eddie Izzard running on a death wish along a road with no path. From Slip End it was back to Pepperstock, passed the scary alsation dogs who I know one day will escape over the fence and finish me off. It was down to Kinsbourne Green and into Wood End, up through Roundwood and onto the Nickey Line.

Running through Roundwood I pass a blonde girl on a power walk. She gives me a big smile and I think "oh hello". She's off the telly. Newsreader I think. I'll need to check and confirm.

12 miles done and so headed for Redbourn and along to the Water Mill via the "3 dumps" path.

It's been a hilly run and now I find myself at Mile 17 about to go up Beeson End Lane. Managed it pretty well and was chuffed at the top. 2 miles to go and they're easy compared to what's been before. Well that's what I thought!

The legs really started to hurt and it was a desperate struggle to make it home. I had to grit my teeth and push through the agony. There's a difference between the pain of an injury and that of fatigue - this was the latter and you can fight through it. I shuffled home. Making it 20.1 miles in 3.07. 2570ft of climbing was very hard. No water which is unusual for me but I had 4 High5 gels to keep me from an energy bonk.

What a week. Over 70 miles in 6 days. I think I'm in good shape, 2 more big weeks then I begin a 3 week taper. A rest day tomorrow though, and I'm going to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment