Tuesday 1 September 2009

26 August, Hilly Ride in Kintyre

The B8024 in Kintyre is a classic Scottish single track road providing road access for a handful of houses and farms. Our campsite was halfway along the 30 mile road. It was a hilly beast with a 2 mile climb and a series of short steep climbs. As well as the climbs it had the corresponding downhills, a 2 miler and the short steep ones. I decided I had to do the full length of the road before the holiday was over.
Session 1 was the 15 miles back to Lochgilphead and back, a cheeky 30 miles with 4 miles of solid climbing.
I set off focused on cadence and keeping my energy for the climb which I thought would be murder. On the way I saw a group of Grouse, lucky I had no gun, a family of seals, a deer and a million rabbits.
I reached the bottom of the hill 42 mins into the ride and started the up. It wasn't as tough as the ride in the Ochils and I made it up comfortably. The climb was 18 mins solid.
The downhill section was interesting. After the 29mph with Roddy I felt confident enough to go for it. That was a mistake. This was a single track road, which was wet after some rain and I was riding it for the first time. So... as I was flying along at 27mph I saw a car, shat a brick, hit the brakes, skidded, feet came out of the clips, major wobble, held on and screamed my way passed the car. "I command my angels concerning you" was the first thing that entered my head. Phew.
After that I took it easy on the downhill.
The 15 miles took 1.07, then it was time to turnaround and do the same journey in reverse. Compared to the first leg it was uneventful. 1.07 to complete and had to stand on only one short sharp climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment