Friday 25 September 2009

Swim and Mile in the new shoes

I haven't been swimming for weeks. Work and other commitments meant that lunchtimes were off limits. I expected the worst.

After the warm up I thought an easy few lengths of crawl would ease me in. However, my breathing was all over the place and my arms were feeling very tired very quickly. So I went back to basics and focused on rotation from the hips and single side breathing, on-side then off. It was a struggle. Then went for a length or two of bilateral. Again I struggled to find any rhythm. After 30 mins it was still bad so I took a break, sat on the side and refocused.

I went back in, took it slow and found a nice pace, my breathing, stroke and legs were in sync and I was gliding between strokes nicely. I was slow but felt efficient. So I just kept in that zone and managed another 30 mins.

I must get back to the pool soon and repeat that last session.

Late afternoon I had a spare 15 mins and decided a slow mile round the streets was in order, just to see how the new shoes were doing. The first 0.75miles were easy and I was enjoying the shoes. Then I met Simon as he powered his way up from Aldwickbury Golf Course, a hill I just love, not. He slowed and we chatted our way back along Topstreet Way. I forgot all about the shoes as the speed increased nicely. Simon carried on passed Shakespeare Road and I trotted home. The Garmin said 1.5miles at 7.48. Ha ha, that was 0.75 @9 and 0.75 @7 which one did Simon do! All that can be said after trot 1 is, these shoes were made for running.

2 comments: