Saturday 26 September 2009

Brass Monkeys at Dawn

Dave joined myself and Paul for the 7.00am cycle. Plan was to do the Berko-Bison Hill loop in around 2 hours. With us all in taper mode it was to be an easy one.

However, neither Dave nor I were ready for the cold, it was freezing, and I'd opted for a short sleeve top and shorts. After 20 mins I could see the frostbite appearing on my arms and legs, and couldn't feel my hands.

By the time we'd passed Redbourn the sun was up and it started to warm. We were steady along the top to Gaddesdon Row and then steady down the hill to the main road. However, on the way down Dave popped a spoke and after analysis it was clear he was out. The wheel was in trouble and with 20 miles to go including 2 big hills he phoned his mum for a rescue.

Paul and I continued, the short rest made the Potten End hill easy and then we were steady through the forest, seeing a good few deer on the way. Down to Bison Hill we kept it tight, I held the speed at about 27-28mph and Paul drafted nicely. From there he took the lead up Bison Hill maintaining a good cadence and steady speed all the way.

Before Kensworth we turned for Markyate and the plan was another draft at 22-24mph. It was going well but at some point Paul dropped off and I missed that. From Markyate Paul suggested a different route which was good but had a few dodgy sections of road and a river to navigate! There were a couple of decent short hills which I will keep in mind for future hill work.

The loop was 30 miles on the button. Arriving home I realised my feet had been freezing all the way round, so a long hot shower was required to thaw out. I'll be layered up if I get out next Saturday morning.

Paul was on form again, nailing the sprints to each town sign as I slept beside him! Next time I'll be ready!!

No comments:

Post a Comment