Sunday 27 September 2009

A Tale of Two Reps

I’m not sure this is a true story as I reflect on this morning’s jaunt through the Hertfordshire countryside. Hard to believe it was me running up a hill.

Niall had made the excellent call of shortening the Sunday run but retaining intensity, so it was 2x 8mins at race pace. First rep would be slightly downhill and the second up Beeson End Lane, this would replicate part of the 10k route and provide mental and physical training.

My plan was to hopefully find a fast sustainable pace on rep 1. On the hill I planned to go at it hard and see whether I could keep up some pace and still recover.

We met at the steps to the Nicky Line. Simon, Niall, Paul and Dave were already there and raring to go. We took it steady to the platforms and then the plan was 8 mins at race pace. I made a quick decision to try and hang onto Simon’s coat tails. From the off it was obvious that was not going to be sustainable so as Simon pulled away I decided I’d try and relax to a pace I could hold. I seemed comfortable and could sense Niall and Paul following, as they passed me I tracked along happy to hold my pace and not fall too far behind. The rep was over and I felt ok. The Garmin told a good story, 8 mins averaging 3.57min/km. Ok it was slightly downhill but good.

Niall announced 4 mins recovery and another 8 mins on. That would’ve meant a rep squeezed in before the hill. I should’ve been prepared for that but was delighted that Paul was not up for it. So as the lads took off, Paul and I jogged over to the bottom of the hill. We were delighted to see the lads appear just ahead of us and so we regrouped ready for the assault on the hill.

For rep 2 I took off as fast as I could, keeping focused on form and cadence. I was doing well and made it over the steep section comfortably. I could hear Niall on my tail and I was determined not to let him pass easily so I injected pace every time I heard him close. He caught me out and went passed like a train just before the summit. I had something in the tank and didn’t let him pull away so I tucked in and relaxed. I was waiting for a let up in pace and was ready to take over at the front when Simon went soaring passed. I decided to give it another go and get on his tail. I thought Niall was doing the same and powered on. I lasted about 40 seconds with Simon (@3.30/km pace) and had to let him go. I realised I was on my own, checked the watch and saw 1min left so upped the pace again, meaning Simon remained 20-30 yards ahead but was no longer pulling away. The clock stopped and the Garmin said 8 mins at 4.05 pace. Quite unbelievable for me as most of it is up a decent hill.

What a run, still can’t quite believe the hill section. I managed to maintain a good pace and kick on with Simon. Just a couple of months ago I was grunting my way up and any thought of speeding up at the top would’ve been considered a bad joke. Great confidence boost for the 10k in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment