Saturday 19 September 2009

Saturday Spin

Paul joined me for the 30 mile loop over to Ashridge Forest and back via Bison Hill. We set off at 7.15 at an easy pace, enjoying a perfect morning. No wind but a wee chill in the air which Paul was ideally dressed for. I'd opted for the t-shirt option as I'm supposed to be hard but it was a good 20 minutes before I felt it had been a good decision.

It was a pretty uneventful ride down to Gaddesdon Row and then it was down the hill before the up to Potten End. The up was 0.5miles and it gets the heart going.
From there we went through the forest and saw a few stray golfers, a fox and a good few deer. 3 of the deer ran across the road 20 yards ahead of us which was far enough for it not to be scary.
After Ashridge we had a 5 mile to the foot of Bison Hill. In that stretch is a downhill stretch which had an average 25.2mph.

Bison Hill isn't long but it's steep and I need to be out of the saddle to get over the top. HR hits Z5 and the climb lasts an eternal 3 minutes. Pathetic really but I find it a challenge.
From Bison Hill it was back via Markyate and Slip End. On the Slip End hills I managed to hit 39mph which wasn't too bad.

Paul kept the ride fun as he injected a sprint to win the race to the town signs. I was asleep every time but will be ready on our next soiree.

Overall it was a z1/2 spin with short bursts into z3-5. Average HR was 138 and it was 2300cal burned.

No comments:

Post a Comment