Sunday 6 September 2009

Sunday but not an easy run

Niall was needing to be back home for 8, so the Running Fource were scheduled to depart his at 7. On top of the earlier start Niall had suggested a fast one. Oh no.
I initially said I wasn't up for it but then had a vision of Niall's blog and decided I couldn't take the humiliation. So I decided I would be there and stay with the pace for 3 miles then duck out wherever they were and have a slow run home.
I met Paul on the way down, then Niall emerged with sun-glasses and cap, I checked the sky and yep it was still overcast. He took the slagging well.
Simon pounded down the road, we never asked but I suspect he'd already done 11 miles. So with Dave in Wolverhampton wishing he wasn't, we were off.
The decision was Heartwood via Pipers Lane. The pace was hot but unusually I was able to cope and that brought a compliment from Niall as we pounded up Crabtree Lane. As we passed Meadway and started cutting across to the Lane, the pace started to show but I clung on to the group. When Paul announced they were cutting off in 500m I decided I was staying with them no matter how hard it was.
I normally fall back on hills like this but stayed with Paul as he pursued Simon and Niall. At one point Paul said something along the lines "chuffin' norah, what pace does your garmin say?", "6.50" I spluttered, "and its chuffin' uphill" said Paul. Yes, my thoughts exactly.
The 500m was quite a bit longer but we stayed as a four to the turn and then the lads were off. I slowed my pace got my heart rate back to zone 4 and headed for Childwickbury.
It was an uneventful trot down the hill and across to Beeson End. I concentrated on form and tried to stay light. The hill was pretty easy and at the top I stepped it up until I reached the West Common roundabout. From thereI eased off and took the remainder of the run as a warm-down.
11.2miles were completed with an average HR of 155 which is zone 4 for me. Overall I was pleased with the run. The first 3 miles were good given the efforts of my previous 2 days.

1 comment:

  1. I thought Chuffin' Norah was the big red train on Thomas and Friends.

    ReplyDelete