Sunday 20 September 2009

Herts 10k Prep. Training like one of the boys.

Niall called the 10k route and I suggested a Runners World split, run the route in 3x2.08miles, each at race pace and with a 5 min recovery. Well, Paul & Niall were having none of that, they were on for a 3min recovery. So that was it.


The Garmin's were primed and I met Simon at the gates of the park. He'd done a 2.54 marathon last weekend and claimed he was still a bit sore etc. More of that later.

Anyway, Paul & Niall appeared but no Dave. So it was a light jog to the top where we asked Niall about his birthday party as he'd hit the big 4-0. I was looking for the birthday cake and was sure we'd have a wee bit after our run. Well, you can hope ;-)

The lads suggested I did the pace making on leg 1 which I thought was a joke but nobody stepped forward. With that surprise I almost did a Usain Bolt and got into the blocks. They took the mick for that. Anyway, that was the last of the joviality as we were off.


I set off like a gazelle, inside 6.30 pace and feeling ok. There was a wee wobble when I missed the first gate but I was soon back in the pack. As we descended to the fields Niall took a wrong turn so there was another wee wobble as I ran backwards thinking I might have to retrace my steps if he was right. My pace was now 6.45-7.00 but still I was ok. On the downhills I let the legs go as best I could and I was in the 5.40's. Along to the golf course I was edging back near 7's but then the 2.08miles were up. I'd averaged 6.30 and been in z5 for just over half of it.


Niall and Paul caught up quickly and when the three minutes were up and I was off for the leg I knew would find me out, the hill. Simon ran with me and gave me some tips and motivation. I made it to the top feeling ok but knowing my pace wasn't good enough at the top. As I kept moving I heard Niall on my shoulder, I tried to kick but couldn't hold the pace and he passed me with about 0.25mile to go. I didn't fall too far behind but was feeling the pain as we completed the leg. I'd averaged 7.03 and was in z5 for all but the first minute.

Paul & Simon appeared just as Niall and I were ready to go. This section was mainly flat but had the odd incline just to make the hr stay high. I tried to keep up with Niall but felt my form was gone, my head was bobbing all over the place and I had completely lost the rythm I had in rep 1. Anyway, Simon was up and down the ranks chatting away, making sure we were ok and on route, clearly still hurting after last week not.

I somehow had clung on to Niall's pace with only a 15 yard gap between us. As we turned towards home I thought I'd try to close it. There was just under a mile to go, so I upped the pace slightly and sneaked within 10 yards. However, Niall eased up a notch and the gap was back. We reached the gate into the field and I decided to kick, I was closing but again Niall moved up a gear and although I was running flat out the gap was constant. I looked at the Garmin and there was still 0.25m to go. I had to ease off a little and only kicked again when I saw Niall stopping but by then the gap was 50-70 yards. On that leg I averaged 6.58's and again spent all but 1min in zone 5.


Overall it was a marvellous run. I've never done anything like that before and not held those speeds over anything longer than 800m. My average was 6.51, coming in at 42min 44sec for 6.28miles. Hopefully with a proper taper and a true 6.1miles I'll break 42mins on the day.

For the first time in 9 months of running with the guys I genuinely felt like one of the team rather than the sad cousin allowed to join in cos he's no mates. Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment