Friday 18 September 2009

Run and Ride on a Friday

It was going to be a busy day so I thought I'd sneak a few miles in after dropping the kids for school. I was near the park so decided a cheeky stroll round the 10k route would be good.

The weather was awesome, blue sky and no wind. Decided to keep the HR z3/4 and just get to know the route and terrain.

The first 2 miles include a decent downhill section which must be attacked. Then it's flat along through the golf course before a 0.25 mile hill. This will be the section that makes or breaks my race on October 11, right now I am not comfortable on hilly sections. After the main hill there are a few flats and slight uphills, nothing major but enough to keep the HR up.

The final 2 miles are partly nicky line and partly across the fields. The main problem here will be having the confidence to blast it and not worry about the potential for a twisted ankle. It should be ok so long as I've not blown up on the hill.

After the trot it was back to the park for a decent stretch and warm-down.

Adrian's doing the Milton Keynes Triathlon on Sunday, I've had to give it a miss as baby 4 is due any day now. So I got the call to join him for an easy spin through Redbourn-Gaddesdon Row-Studham-Markyate-Slip End -Pepperstock and home. Easy it was, 22 miles in z1 but with a couple of blasts on the downhills which included a new top speed of 40.1mph. I drafted behind Adrian on the descent into Slip End and then just went for it, fantastic fun and had the hill been longer I'd have gone faster. Next time that's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment