Wednesday 9 September 2009

Evening Sprint and Drafting

On the back of the lunchtime reps it was out for an evening spin with Adrian. He's off to Chicago for a week and with the night's closing in fast, tonight had to be done.
We set off for Wheathampstead and planned to do 1min on - 1 off from there to Lemsford. At the top of the hill we were off with Adrian setting a pace of 30mph down the hill. I was drafting right on his wheel and had to hit the breaks a few times. After his minute I was on and managed to maintain 24-25mph with Adrian tucked in nicely. Over to him and the pace was maintained. My final spell to Lemsford kept the pace up. That was our best session, our handovers were very smooth and our drafting very tight.
From Lemsford it was up the hill to Old Welwyn. We decided our next sprint would be from there to Codicote. Adrian hit the front and set a daunting pace, I held his wheel but on the handover struggled with the wind and hill. I handed to Adrian who also struggled. In fact he was out of the seat driving up the hill. My final spell was carnage, the pace was dropping and I jumped out of the seat to keep some momentum but the legs were finished and I had to get back in the seat and grit my teeth. We made it to the High Street and both of us were wasted.
From Codicote we took the road to Kimpton. That was enough of a recovery for us to draft our way along to Harpenden at a tasty 18-20mph.
Got home and the Garmin showed we'd done 20.5miles, averaged 21.2/23.8/21.1 for the miles we'd put the effort in. Overall it was another good session and it didn't feel too bad on the back of the rep session. Easy day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment