Tuesday 29 September 2009

Easing in with a six

After basking in the glory of Sunday's funfest it was back to the lonely roads. Darkness had descended, the kids were asleep so a cheeky loop around Harpenden was in order. The drill was to keep the HR in Z2/3 and maintain good form, light feet and high cadence.

I set off along passed St Georges and down Westfield Road, all was good but I was struggling to get the HR up. As I went along Lower Luton Road I decided I would blast up Crabtree Lane and push on at the top to see if the recovery came even if the pace didn't let up.

So I went for it, right from the Marquis to Aldwickbury Crescent and then not letting up until I was on my way passed Medway. It felt good and later the Garmin showed that on the hill I'd hit 181 but as the incline reduced the HR reduced to under 160.

I headed down Long Buftlers and then onto Medway and Southdown Road. For the second week on the trot I came upon the Aro Sports stragglers. It looked like most of the crew had already gone.

As I went along towards Crabtree Lane an Aro guy went passed on a bike, he turned up Crabtree and I decided to chase him up the hill. I made it to the roundabout without easing off the pace and nearly caught him. Again the HR reached 181 but recovered very quickly. I am officially a hill monster. Ha.

Overall it was 6 miles, with the HR averaging in high z2. A nice start to the week and good prep for tomorrow's reps which will be 6x400m for a change.

3 comments:

  1. how many kms will you clear out of 6? You'll have ten to do at the Herts 10km if you want to make sure you get home before me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there were about 4 different groups out with Aro tonight - the 6 milers split again into 3 groups.... musta missed me by just a few mins

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOHHHH

    misread the title.

    Thought it was ...

    "eating in with a 6(pack)"


    Thought to myself, THERE goes the training!

    ReplyDelete